The Importance of Being Prepared
Close your eyes and picture this scenario: You are driving late at night on a country road and your vehicle becomes hard to control. If your vehicle is equipped with a roadside emergency supply kit, you will have all that you need at your fingertips to get back on your journey in no time!
EMERGENCY ROADSIDE KITS
Include the following items in your roadside emergency supply kit:
- 3-metre jumper cables
- Four 15-minute road flares
- Two quarts of motor oil
- Four litres of antifreeze
- First-aid kit (equipped with bandages, gauze, gloves, adhesive tape, antiseptic wipes, instant ice and heat packs, scissors and a pain reliever)
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Extra fuses
- Flat head and Philips screwdriver
- Pliers and an adjustable wrench
- Vice grips
- Tire inflator and tire pressure gauge
- Rags and/or paper towels
- Spray bottle containing washer fluid
- Ice scraper
- Non-perishable energy bars and bottled water
Though this list may seem excessive and a waste of useable space in your trunk, all of the items will assist you in different types of emergencies. Customize your own kit based on your family’s and car’s needs.
Before you need to use your kit in an emergency situation, it is wise to thoroughly familiarize yourself with its contents. Take the time to discuss with your entire family how each item in your kit will assist in an emergency and make sure that everyone knows how to use the contents properly and safely.